Nobody has ever accused Apple of playing well with non-Apple formats. However, for whatever reason, a number of quite good apps have suddenly been approved in the App Store that allow you to play extend video formats. They are still a bit rough in some cases, but if they are allowed to remain (you know how capricious Apple can be) they will probably mature into great applications.
A free app currently available in the App Store, CineXPlayer will play most XVID encoded AVI files. To get it to your iPad, you need to connect via iTunes Filesharing and copy it via the iTunes 9.2+ app directories. And of course, the Apple issues with playing well with others is lacking here too. You can copy this to the CineXPlayer directory and it is NOT available to any other app, unless you have jail-broken your device and can dip into the File System and move it yourself. Otherwise, you are stuck with these separate little islands of files.
Watch your Xvid movies on your iPad !
You love to watch your movies anywhere, anytime and take them with you on your iPad. But you realized that some of the most popular movie file formats (such as Xvid) won’t synch or play on your iPad ?
CineXPlayer is the solution for you!
- -Transfer your Xvid movies to your device instantly (no conversion needed)
- -Play your movies anywhere, anytime – even when you have no Internet connection (in a train, a car, a plane…)
- -Enjoy the full quality and cinema experience
- - Full Resume Function
- - Swipe to Delete (to manage movies)
CineXPlayer plays Xvid movies and we endeavor to support most popular formats. You may occasionally come across an Xvid movie you will not be able to play. Please use our support contact if you encounter such a problem. (mkv , AC3 format not supported currently)
Reviews of this app are somewhat mixed, but the first XVID file I grabbed from my collection, KungFu Hustle, (one of my personal favorite movies) played very well and without issues whatsoever.
OPlayer HD is a $4.99 app in the App Store. As far as I can tell, the video played about the same as in the free CineXPlayer. So, why would I possibly want to pay hard-earned money for this app? Options, my friend, options. Not only does this app give you a lot of additional options, it will also play all the regular supported Apple formats too. And, in addition to the standard iTunes File Sharing, it also supports FTP, Samba (Windows Files Shares) via Wi-Fi Webdav. Not to mention the ability to play WMV, AVI, MKV, RM, MP4, 3GP, and MPG file formats.
OPlayer HD is used to boost your iPad’s media abilities. You can also use it to streaming audio and video over HTTP.
***USB File Transfer is now officially supported!
***Mail app’s attachment such as avi can be opened by OPlayer now!
-Still using software decoding solution in this HD version, so the video resolution must less than 800*600. otherwise the audio/video will not sync.
-About the video not smooth issue, you can switch off the “skip frame” in the settings page.
- Play almost any video formats on your iPad. (WMV/AVI/MKV /RM/RMVB/XVID/mp4/3GP/MPG/)
- Play almost any audio formats on your iPad. (MP3/WMA/RM/AAC)
- Support audio/video streaming over HTTP. (through WIFI or 3G)
- Support USB download files by iTunes.(need update iTunes to V9.1)
- Easily wifi transfer to download media files from your PC to your iPad.
- Support FTP Client to download media files to your iPad.
- Build in web browser to download media files.
- Support “.sub” subtitle, if you only have “.srt” subtitle file, you can use Text2VobSub to convert “.srt” file to “.sub” file.
- Support Mail app attachment open with … feature.
All of a sudden, I have a whole lot of additional videos available for use on my iPad. As I continue to use this, I will let you know how it goes. Now, I have to get back to my movie. Enjoy!